I am seven weeks away from receiving my Master’s in Interactive Journalism (IJ) from American University. It has been a long and tiring 19 months, but I do not regret any of it, especially since American has become a “center for new journalism.” I have had great classes and not-so-great classes. I had courses that I enjoyed immensely; taught by professors that I found enlightening. On the opposite end, a couple of my courses were downright aggravating with less than stellar professors. When I entered the IJ program I had a general knowledge/base of what constitutes digital and print journalism, but I wanted to learn more. As the last few weeks of grad school draws to a close I can safely say that I not only ‘know’ but ‘understand.’ There is a difference between the two words that many fail to grasp; knowing is not understanding. My favorite quote is by Hippocrates which sums things up succinctly “To know is science, to think you know is ignorance.” Amen.
YETBW Recent Posts
- Take the ‘Knowledge Road’ Less Traveled For Black History Month 24/7/365
- Initial Tips for Taking Care of An Aging or Elderly Parent
- Dear Hollywood: I Need A Break From Your Comic Book Obsession
- My ‘Top 25 Most Played’ Songs According to iTunes
- Fighting Gender Inequality In the Tech Industry, Underwear-Style
YETBW Top Posts & Pages
- An Overview of the Major U.S. Intelligence Agencies: What is the Difference Between the DIA, NSA, CIA and FBI?
- Grant Memorial: The 'Ugly Betty' of U.S. Presidential Monuments
- Hollywood's 'Asian' Shuffle And The Overlooked Jason Scott Lee
- Are McMansions Really Headed Towards Slumville?
- Stereotypes and Learning About Black Women From Watching Television
- Seahawks Jimmy Graham has dropped 2 passes that should’ve been TDs. Somebody’s going to get a ‘talk’ at halftime. 2 hours ago
- Had scanned the story before; now reading it in full. Strong reporting on fed govnt truly failing its citizens.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 hours ago
- My husband has stopped snoring. He must've sensed in his sleep that I was about to annihilate him with a pillow. twitter.com/angelialevy/st… 5 hours ago
- I stopped watching last season's (S7) #TheWalkingDead after episode 2. Still going to watch tonight's S8 premiere, because 'why not?' 5 hours ago
- Whatever Carter would accomplish re NKorea (if anything) Trump would undercut, devalue or dismiss it, that's what h… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 6 hours ago
2012 elections african-american African-Americans American University campaigns celebrities children classroom college comic books congress culture DC debt ceiling democrats DNC education elections eliot spitzer extramarital affair fashion football GOP grad school hair headphones infidelity iPad journalism kennedy longreads marriage marvel universe media men metro monuments music newspapers nfl nixon parenthood parenting pittsburgh Pittsburgh Steelers politicians politics pregnancy presidential campaigns presidential candidates presidential elections presidential monuments presidents racism radio relationships republicans RNC roethlisberger scandal spitzer sports steelers stereotypes style technology television tourism twitter u.s. debt u.s. economy U.S. Park Services u.s. presidents women women's issues